Saturday, October 9, 2010

This is my sister. She is - in a word - awesome. When we were growing up, we were pretty different. But I remember when we moved down into the basement into separate rooms and we devised a plan with flashlights to say things after the lights had gone out. Or when we tried to learn sign language so we could talk without saying anything. And in high school, I was pretty proud to say that my sister was the best diver on our swim team. I would drive up to Minnesota when we were in college to see her in gymnastics meets and to cheer her on because she was fun to watch. In college, if anyone called me after 9:00, it was my sister. My sister gave an amazing maid of honor speech at my wedding that still makes me cry. She was there every day I was in the hospital with Myla. She's brilliant and cute and an amazing aunt. She has taken a day a week for the past two summers and taken Myla to gymnastics and swimming and they just have a great time. Myla loves to see her A2 - she knows her car and usually runs to give her a hug when she sees her. And its not because she goes on these enviable trips and brings Myla back fun presents - its because my sister is that awesome.

We found out that Myla will be having a baby sister. I am so excited for Myla to have the same kind of person in her life that I have in mine. I know there will be fights. I know the little sister will annoy her sometimes. I know that when Myla starts to drive she will say "do I have to take her?" But I also know that there will be times when she is so proud of her little sister. I know that she will love her in a way that only sisters can love each other. And I know that she will be thankful to have a sister in her life.

I'm thankful for my brother too - but that's a different post.

2 comments:

Cole and Mindy Smith said...

WHAT THE HECK!!! I had NO idea you were expecting! CONGRATS! That is so freakin awesome. Way to go Kara! Myla is lucky to have a little sister! Girls are so fun...but you already knew that. :) COngrats again!

Dave and Stephanie said...

what a sweet post! how fun for myla to have a sister :) miss you!